7.02.2009

Madison Avenue


I've been re-watching Season 1 of Mad Men and falling in love with the show all over again.

It's so good, so well done. I think anyone that watches it wishes they would have lived in the 50's (Well, except for the fact that all the men cheated on their wives and the women got NO respect in the workplace. I can't imagine working back then, an office would have been hell.) But there's still something kind of appealing to living in the 50's to me. I love hearing my grandmothers talk about going downtown to shop in "real" department stores and seeing pictures of old, classic cars. Things just seemed so much more original back then.


A Continuous Lean did a post on old Miller High Life ads which I found to be a bit ironic since I've been watching so much Mad Men.


Love the one with the man burning his mortgage. This was an actual event that used to happen. I'd never heard of it until I googled it and found this:

Back in the 50's, 60's and 70's homeowners actually worked and saved to pay off their mortgage. After making their last payment the new real homeowners would invite the neighbors over, ceremonially burn their mortgage papers in the trash can and then unveil the deed to their home and proceed to have a cookout!


I wonder what the "Champagne" of beers in 2009 would be?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails